6. Anthony von Mandl
- Anthony von Mandl created the ready-to-drink alcoholic beverages White Claw Hard Seltzer and Mike’s Hard Lemonade through his Mark Anthony Brands.
- Von Mandl told Forbes his U.S. business delivered $4 billion in revenue in 2020.
- He began his career in the Canadian wine business as an importer in the 1970s at age 22.
- He currently owns five wineries in Canada, including Mission Hill Winery in British Columbia’s Okanagan Valley.
- Through his company Mark Anthony Wine & Spirits, von Mandl is a leading figure of Canada’s alcohol importing and distribution sector.
- He is the 274th richest in the world with a net worth of $8.7 Billion.
5. David Cheriton
- “Professor Billionaire” David Cheriton, who is professor emeritus at Stanford University, made his fortune thanks to an early investment in Google.
- Cheriton and Andreas von Bechtolsheim (also now a billionaire) each invested $100,000 in Google when it was just getting started.
- The pair cofounded 3 companies: Arista Networks (IPO in 2014), Granite Systems (sold to Cisco in 1996) and Kealia (sold to Sun Microsystems in 2004).
- Cheriton resigned from Arista’s board in March 2014 and has been unloading his stock; he still owns nearly 10% through a trust for his children.
- Cheriton became chief data center scientist at Juniper Networks after the acquisition of his company Apstra in 2021.
- He is the 269th richest in the world and fiftieth richest in technology with a net worth of $8.8 Billion.