Skip to content
4. Jim Pattison
- Jim Pattison oversees a sprawling group that operates 25 divisions including packaging, food and entertainment.
- Pattison’s first business was a GM dealership he bought in 1961.
- The Canadian billionaire also controls more than 40% of publicly-traded forest products company Canfor.
- His entertainment division includes Guinness World Records, the Ripley’s Believe It Or Not! chain and Great Wolf Lodge’s Canadian franchise rights.
- He is the 241st richest in the world with a net worth of $9.6 Billion.
3. Tobi Lutke
- Tobi Lutke is the cofounder and CEO of Shopify, a Canadian e-commerce firm that helps companies set up and run online stores.
- He owns nearly 7% of Shopify, which went public in 2015.
- Shopify had $1.6 billion in 2019 sales; it is used by over 1 million businesses, including Kylie Cosmetics, Allbirds and Rothy’s.
- Lutke grew up in Germany, where he learned to code by age 12 and left school at 16 to enter a computer programming apprenticeship.
- He began developing the e-commerce platform after he and a friend tried to open an online snowboard shop but couldn’t find decent software.
- He is the 232nd richest in the world with a net worth of 9.8 Billion.